There may be various reasons you’re planning to install a new roof. You may be living in an area with harsh storms and your home may be undergoing storm damage restoration. Maybe you just want to upgrade your home’s exterior, or your roof is simply old and starting to leak.
When installing new roofing, you have the choice as to whether you want to have the old shingles removed or not. Installing shingles over the old ones has more cons than pros, though. The only benefits you can get from it are that you save money by not paying for removal and disposal services, and the added layers will lessen the chances of moisture getting into the shingles and cause leaks.
To help you better understand why installing a new layer over your old roof, Affordable Roofing Systems discusses some disadvantages of that option:
1. You may mitigate your manufacturer’s warranty.
2. Shingles will cool down slower, which will affect their durability.
3. The double layer of shingles can make the temperature of the house uncomfortably warm, increasing energy costs for cooling.
4. “Telegraphing” is when the new shingles adhere with the older ones and it has its own disadvantages. This is more likely to happen when asphalt shingles are installed over wood. Runoff can create more friction on the uneven areas and cause damage over those spots.
5. Your new shingles are less impact-resistant, which is crucial for places that experience hailstorms or strong winds. Simply having the old shingles removed and replacing them with new ones may save you from hail damage repair costs.
6. Shingles installed over old roofing have less support, making them more prone to damage and wind uplift.
Consult experts in roof repairs before making a decision. Affordable Roofing Systems can help you make the right choice. We are the roofer trusted by Brandon, Tampa and Largo, FL, homeowners and business owners to improve and protect their houses and establishments. Schedule an appointment with us now; call (813) 542-8462 or fill out our online request form.