How to Assess Hail, Wind, and Storm Damage to Your RoofBy Stacy Mellete
Being close to the Gulf of Mexico puts you in the path of some fairly strong tropical storms and the occasional hurricane. Whenever they hit, damage from rainwater will be nothing compared to damage caused by wind and hail.
The first thing you should do after a storm (once you’ve made sure everyone is safe) is to check the condition of your roof, have it documented for insurance purposes, and contact an experienced, local roofing contractor who will do expert roof repairs in Brandon, FL, like Affordable Roofing Systems.
Inspect and Document the Damage
Never climb onto your roof. The last thing you want to do is risk injury. Leave the climbing to the professionals. Having said that, here are our tips for inspecting and documenting roofing damage:
- Use a high-resolution camera, or at least a decent smartphone that takes quality photos, to document the damage.
- Look for and take photos of missing, damaged, or displaced components like shingles, gutter, and metal.
- Large objects like fallen trees should be fairly obvious — keep a safe distance from the area until repairs can be done.
- Check from the attic to the basement for leaks, or signs of water damage like water stains, “wavy” plywood, and pooled water.
- If hailstones hit your windows or the skylight, keep the children away from broken glass.
- Check for other ground-level damage on your siding, downspouts, and windows.
Insurance, Repairs and Restoration
In some cases, you can have your insurance assessment and storm damage restoration in Tampa, FL, done simultaneously. We’re willing to work with your insurance adjuster to provide an accurate damage report and a written estimate on the repairs and restoration costs. Your insurance adjuster will then advise when you can file a claim. Here’s what you can do in the meantime:
- Keep all receipts for all work, including hired work for cleaning debris; window and siding repairs; protective material like plywood, canvas or plastic; and out-of-the-pocket expenses. Take photos as heat-printed receipts tend to fade quickly.
- Clean up any pooled water to prevent fungus growth.
- Do the same for broken glass to prevent injuries.
- If possible, have the children stay with relatives while hail damage repair in Largo, FL, is being done.
- Take the roof repair as an opportunity for preventive measures. Ask us to conduct a full roof inspection and point out undamaged but potential problem areas.
- Also consider switching to a stronger type of roofing, like metal, if your roof needs a full replacement at this point.
Trust Affordable Roofing Systems for all your roof repair and replacement needs. We also have Rapid Roof Repair Teams available 24/7 for emergency repairs. Call us today at (813) 542-8462 or fill up our contact form.