Common Metal Roof Problems
Metal roofs are one of the preferred roofing options in the Tampa Bay area. They are known for their durability, longevity, and performance. However, like any other roofing material, metal also has its disadvantages.
As one of the leading roofing contractors in Tampa, Florida, we want to educate customers about potential problems they may encounter with metal roofing. This blog post will cover the following:
- Common problems you may encounter with metal roofing
- Possible causes of each metal roof problem
- Ways to resolve or prevent them
What Are The Common Problems You May Encounter With Metal Roofs?
1. Oil Canning
Oil canning is also referred to as “roof wrinkles” or “elastic buckling.” They are more common in metal roofs made from steel, copper, aluminum, and zinc. While this problem may not affect your roofing system’s performance, these “wrinkles” may have an impact on your property’s curb appeal.
- Improper installation (over-driving and angling fasteners, misaligned panels
- Extreme swings in temperature
- Structural changes caused by accidents or severe weather conditions
Way/s To Minimize Or Prevent Oil Canning:
- Choose or use a thicker metal material
- Use the right rib roller for the panel (v-ribs, striated, bead ribs, corrugated, clip relief, pencil ribs
- Avoid glossy metal roof finishes
- Hire an experienced Tampa roofing company that specializes in metal roofs.
Leaks can also be a problem with metal roofing due to several factors. If not addressed immediately, this can result in severe damages and costly repairs.
- Extreme weather conditions (storm damage)
- Structural damage
- Installation error (fasteners, seams, flashing, sealant, etc.)
Ways To Minimize Or Prevent
- Be sure you are working with a reputable Tampa Bay roofer with a proven track record in the industry
- After the storm, schedule a professional roofing evaluation to assess the damage and address the problem.
3. Scuffing and Scratching
Scuffs and scratches are also common in metal roofs. That’s why metal roof manufacturers take precautions to avoid scratches during the slitting and transportation process.
- Improper metal coiling or recoiling
- Poor packaging and shipping or transportation process (no edge guards and proper lifting devices)
If you notice any scuffs or scratches on the metal panel, contact your roofing contractor or manufacturer right away.
Metal roofs are designed to resist corrosion and degradation. A well-maintained metal roofing system can last up to 50 years or even more. However, keep in mind that you may still encounter corrosion problems with metal roofs. Make sure you select the proper metal for your geographic location!
Different Corrosion Problems With Metal Roofs
- Saltwater corrosion - This is common for homes or buildings that are close to the coast.
- Underside corrosion - This is usually a result of improper coating on the underside of the panel.
- Dissimilar metals
- Cut edges
Working with a proven, reputable Tampa Bay roofer will help you prevent or solve these problems. Need help with your metal roofs? Affordable Roofing Systems is ready to serve! Get a free quote now!