Reading Your Roof: What’s Normal, and What Isn’t?By Stacy Mellete
Asphalt shingles remain the most popular roofing material across the country because of their durability, cost efficiency, and good looks. They will wear down eventually through the years, but it’s crucial to learn what normal roof aging looks like before you plan a replacement.
Affordable Roofing Systems, your premier roofing contractor in Largo Florida, shares what signs to look for.
What Normal Roof Aging Looks Like
Weather can be unpredictable, making it difficult to predict just how long your asphalt shingles will last. Extreme sunlight, heavy rainfall, and high winds all accelerate roof aging. Check your residential roofing in Largo Florida for hints of damage once in a while, and most especially after a major weather event. Here are signs of ordinary wear and tear that won’t prompt a complete roof replacement yet:
- Curling. This isn’t considered a defect but a common phenomenon in shingles. The material natural shrinks over time, resulting in a slight curling along the shingle’s edge.
- Small Cracks. Your roof shingles may start forming cracks as they age. As long as these cracks don’t break through the shingles and your roof continues to shed water properly, you don’t have anything to worry about. But in the event that they do penetrate through the material, the best solution is quality roof repairs from your local roofing Largo, Affordable Roofing Systems. With our skilled and experienced crew, we’ll make sure your roof is patched up in a timely and efficient manner.
- Mold Growth. You may expect your shingles to shed granules over time. But this is extremely common, especially following a roof repair or installation because extra granules are involved in the manufacturing process.
What Isn’t Normal
When your residential roof in Largo FL has suffered extensive weather damage, it may display these serious warning signs:
- Buckling. This distortion occurs in the shingles when the system has issues with the roof deck, or has inadequate ventilation. The cause might even be improper roof installation.
- Deep cracks. You might want to have your roof looked at by a pro if the cracks have already penetrated through the shingle’s fiberglass mat. This can hamper the way your roof sheds water, making it more vulnerable to leaks.
- Excessive Granule Loss. Your shingles may have already shed their protective granules and have now exposed the asphalt layer. The roofing systems will require immediate attention should this occur.
- Patches of Shingles Missing. If your roof has a large section of shingles missing from it, make sure to consult a pro like Affordable Roofing Systems promptly for a permanent solution. As a GAF Master Elite® roofing company, we can deal with your system’s most serious problems through our high-quality roof replacement service.
Aside from their good looks, our selection of GAF shingles are specially engineered to withstand the harshest weather conditions, allowing for decades of durable performance. You’ll also have greater peace of mind knowing we can install your new roof perfectly right the first time. Turn only to Affordable Roofing Systems for your roof repair and replacement needs.
We proudly serve homeowners in and around Clearwater and Tampa, FL. Call us today at (813) 542-8462 or fill out this form to request a free estimate.