The Top 7 Things That Can Void Your Roofing WarrantyBy Stacy Mellete
A roofing warranty is a great advantage for a homeowner, especially if their roof was damaged by a strong storm and they need to get fixed or replaced as soon as possible. However, what some homeowners don’t know or tend to overlook is that there are certain things that can void their roofing warranty. To avoid accidentally voiding your own warranty, it’s in your best interest to know what these things are.
In this post, residential roofing company Affordable Roofing Systems discusses the seven common causes of a voided roofing warranty.
- Installing New Shingles Over The Old Ones – While most roofers won’t do this, especially if you choose the right one, there are still some who will offer this option as a way to save money since it forgoes the labor costs of tearing the old roof off. Unfortunately, this can shorten the lifespan of the shingles, damage the roof’s overall structure, and most of all, void your shingle warranty.
- Improper Installation – Improper installation is another leading cause of voided roofing warranties. Any contractor who takes shortcuts or disregards the manufacturer’s specifics risks the availability of your warranty so be sure to hire only the best contractors with advanced certifications to avoid improper installations.
- Antenna Installations – Depending on the fine print, it’s possible for your antenna or satellite dish installations to void a part of your warranty. For instance, your warranty may no longer cover leaking because you drilled the holes in your roof to install the satellite dish.
- Inadequate Ventilation – Proper attic ventilation is a vital part of ensuring your roof lasts as long as possible. Unfortunately, some contractors fail to properly ventilate the homeowner’s roof during installation, which can cause various types of damage on the roof that will not be covered by the warranty.
- Fixtures – Fixtures such as skylights and solar panels involves major roofing work that will include roof penetration and shingle removal, which in turn can void your warranty. To avoid this outcome, make sure to have your residential roofing contractor coordinate with the people installing the skylights or solar panels. That way, the shingles can be removed for the fixture’s installation and restored alongside the warranty afterwards.
- Pressure Washing – When moss is growing on the roof, the first solution homeowners think of is to use a pressure washer. However, pressure washing at a high setting can actually void your roofing system’s warranty as the shingles aren’t designed to withstand the close range and will cause the granules to deteriorate or separate from the shingles.
- Using Non-System Components – Residential roofs are usually made of specially engineered components and works best when it’s paired with items from the same manufacturer. However, some homeowners ignore this and use underlayment or starter shingles from different companies, which will void your warranty and compromise the roof’s overall integrity.
Turn to Affordable Roofing Systems for your roofing maintenance needs. We are your leading provider of roof repairs and commercial roofing services Tampa.
Give us a call at (813) 400-25125 or fill out our contact form to request a free estimate. We serve homeowners in Clearwater, Tampa, and other nearby areas in FL.