Understanding the Importance of Roof GuttersBy Stacy Mellete
Gutters and downspouts play a vital role in your roofing system’s longevity and performance. Their primary function is to divert the flow of water away from your home. In today’s video, we will discuss some of the common problems caused by clogged gutters. Stay tuned!
So, what can happen if you don’t clean your roof gutters?
- Foundation problems
- Damaged or broken gutters
- Wall and ceiling damage due to leaks
- Insect infestation
- Wet basement
A functional roof gutter system can prevent:
- Water damage to your roof, including rot, deterioration or mold in shingles, masonry, fascia and soffits.
- Moisture in windows leading to structural damages
- Pooling water along the foundation that can spur erosion and basement flooding
As you can see, proper roof gutter maintenance can prevent severe problems and costly roof repairs in Tampa FL. But before you go out there to clear debris from your roof gutters and downspouts, here are a few reminders:
1. Use the Right Tools and Safety Gear
At a minimum, you will need:
- Hand shovel
- Safety eyewear
- And a durable pair of gloves to scoop out leaves and debris in the gutters
2. Ladder Safety 101
Use a sturdy and safe ladder. It should be large enough for the job. Find the most secure spot to place the ladder. As much as possible, there should be someone nearby in case of an emergency.
3. Know When to Hire a Pro
If you think the task is too tedious and you prefer to play it safe and stress-free, you can hire a gutter-cleaning service for your convenience. However, if your clogged gutters have caused roof damage, you definitely need a roofing professional to help you assess and repair the damage in order to prevent further problems.
Affordable Roofing Systems is your trusted roofing contractor. We provide complete roofing services. From roof evaluations and proper maintenance to new roof installation St. Petersburg FL, and replacement, our team has you covered! Call us now and get a free estimate!