What To Do After A Roofing Disaster
The roof is probably one of your biggest home investments because it provides comfort and protection for your family. That’s also the reason why most of us invest in quality roofing materials. Unfortunately, even the most durable roofing systems still have limitations. Severe weather conditions like thunderstorms and hurricanes can cause major damages to your roof.
The objective of this blog post is to guide homeowners and business property owners on what to do after a roofing disaster. Read on.
Tampa Bay’s Unique Climate
With Florida’s humid subtropical climate, it is imperative for residents and business owners to prepare for any weather conditions. Tampa Bay has two seasons: a hot and wet season (May to October) and a mild dry season (November to April). Additionally, Tampa gets more than 100 rainy days in a year with occasional hurricanes and thunderstorms.
Just last year, tropical storm ETA caused some issues in the Tampa Bay area-- from storm surge to tornado warnings. These unfortunate events are something beyond our control.
So, what do you need to do after a roofing disaster? Here are the steps to follow:
1. Stay Calm
Storm damage can make you anxious, and most of the time we want to repair the damages as quickly as possible. Be sure to remain calm to avoid making impulsive decisions that can cause more problems in the future. Beware of “storm chasers” as well. These people can scam you in many ways. Always check the credentials of roofing contractors you talk to and avoid door-to-door solicitations.
Storm damage restoration requires extensive expertise and experience. That’s why you need to do your research before making any decisions. Always maximize your options. Be vigilant when hiring a roofing contractor in Tampa Bay.
2. Assess the Damage
The next thing you should do is assess the damage. Identify the roof problems you can manage yourself. For more severe damages, you might need to look for emergency roof repair services.
After a storm, contact your Tampa roofing contractor immediately for a thorough roof evaluation. Be careful when assessing the damage to your property. Wear safety gear like helmets, gloves, and protective eyewear. Climbing on a roof can be dangerous at this point, so leaving it to the experts is safer and more convenient.
Before the inspection, it is advisable to take photographs or videos of the damages for documentation. Be sure to review any contract you need to sign to avoid discrepancies in the future.
Affordable Roofing Systems is one of the most trusted roofing companies in the Tampa Bay area. Our team of roofing professionals is well-versed in providing the best roofing solutions for our customers. Here, we believe that quality and experience matter! Allow our roofers to provide you with an accurate and honest assessment. Get a free estimate now!
3. Search from the Ground
We usually think about climbing on the roof to assess the damage closely. Again, this can be dangerous, even if you’re an avid handyman. Just be patient and wait for the roofing professionals. This is for your safety and to prevent further damages to your roof and your entire property. Besides, you can still assess the roof damage from the ground.
Here are some of the things to watch out for:
- Missing, torn or damaged shingles, vents, drip edges or flashings
- Debris on the roof, especially in the gutters, flashings and downspouts
- Damaged soffits
- Abnormalities on your roof’s appearance
- Stains on the walls or ceilings
4. Understand Your Contract
This is one of the most important steps. Be sure to understand the scope of your contract. Do not rely on a verbal agreement. In addition to the company or contractor’s contact information, the contract should also include the following:
- A detailed list of materials that they are going to use to repair your roof. The list should include the color, size and other information
- A clear outline of the work process
- An estimated timeline (start to end date)
- Pricing (complete breakdown)
- Warranty information
5. Go For Preventive Roof Maintenance
We cannot stop thunderstorms or hurricanes, but you can prepare your roof for these unfortunate events. Here’s what you can do to prepare your roof for storm seasons:
- Get your roof evaluated by a reputable Tampa roofing contractor, so you can make necessary adjustments. Sometimes, they may require you to upgrade your roofing materials depending on the condition of your roof.
- Expect high winds, so trim trees and foliage that can potentially cause structural damage.
- Clean roof gutters and downspouts.
- Watch out for damaged shingles and other roof problems. Be sure your local roofer can address these concerns. A well-maintained roof has a better chance to withstand storm and hurricane season.
How Affordable Roofing Systems can Help
Affordable Roofing Systems is an award-winning roofing contractor, located at the heart of Tampa Bay. We provide complete roofing services, including emergency roof repairs, storm damage restoration, roof replacement, and new roof installations.
One of our goals is to help residents and business property owners protect their homes and investment by providing them with quality and cost-effective roofing services. Our team is always ready to help and serve-- rain or shine! Just give us a call, and we will send our roofing professionals to your location right away!
Affordable Roofing invests in quality materials to ensure the safety and comfort of our customers. Here, we believe that quality and experience matter! We specialize in residential and commercial roofing.
- Always prioritize your safety. Be cautious when assessing property damages.
- Avoid going to accident-prone areas like the roof. Let the experts do their jobs for your own safety.
- Be sure to hire a reputable roofer. Check their profile and ask for referrals, so you can easily gauge their services.
- Regular roof maintenance is crucial before and after the storm. Be sure you are well-prepared for these events.