DIY Roof Work vs. Professional Roofing Services
With so many roofing tutorials and videos available online, it can be tempting to try to repair or even replace your own roof. If you have the time, patience, dedication, and skill, DIY roof work could be a rewarding, practical, and money-saving option. However, before undertaking a DIY roof project, you should consider your level of experience, whether you have the appropriate tools and safety equipment, the amount of help you will require from family members or friends, and the time you have available to devote to the project. To ensure a safe and successful outcome, you should weigh the pros and cons carefully before you start.
This blog will help you consider some important pros and cons of DIY roof replacement versus hiring a professional Tampa Bay roofing contractor.
DIY Roof Repairs or Replacement
Before you proceed with DIY roof work, be sure to do thorough research to develop a full understanding of what you are about to do. Always take appropriate safety precautions and wear your protective gear. Take note that your safety should be the highest priority. You don’t want to save a little on labor only to find yourself spending thousands on hospital bills.
Advantages of Doing It Yourself
- Cost Savings: This is the primary reason that people opt for DIY roof work. Although materials costs will be roughly the same, you can definitely save some money on labor costs by doing the work yourself, assuming you do the job correctly.
- Flexibility: With a DIY project, you are completely in charge of the timeline and don’t have to schedule around the contractor’s availability. You may also have more options in selecting materials and brands, as many contractors work only with certain manufacturers or suppliers.
- Sense of Accomplishment: As a DIY enthusiast, there is nothing more glorious than completing a project on your own. A successful project can provide a personal boost and even encourage you to take on other home improvement projects.
Disadvantages of Doing it Yourself
- Safety Hazards: Roof replacement often requires extensive knowledge and experience. Keep in mind that a lot of things can go wrong when you are up on your roof, especially if it is your first time doing the job. Even professional roofers with years of experience can get hurt on the job.
Take note that you will be doing hard physical work--you may need to tear off old shingles, replace decking, remove fascia, and more-- while always taking precautions to avoid a fall. You should carefully consider the height and angle of your roof and be constantly vigilant for your own safety.
- Labor-Intensive: The entire process is labor-intensive and exhausting, especially considering Tampa Bay’s hot and humid climate. Staying up on the roof during the heat of the day can wear you down quickly. In addition, some tasks absolutely require more than one person, so you will need to hire someone to assist you or find friends willing to volunteer. Be sure the person you are hiring has experience with roofing. Otherwise, it will only slow down the process and cause more problems.
- Timeline: If you don’t have the experience or physical capability, it may take you longer to replace your roof than you expected. You cannot assess the damage under your shingles until the old ones are removed. This can cause delays which may leave your roof uncovered and at risk for water intrusion.
- Legal Issues: Bringing a hired laborer or a friend on the roof with you increases the chances of an accident or fall, and as a homeowner you may be legally liable for any injuries. Likewise, you may be legally responsible for any equipment you rent or any damage you cause to your neighbor’s yard or home. In addition, you will need to request and obtain any necessary city or county permits for the work you are doing or you will face fines and sanctions.
- Unexpected Costs: In addition to the tools and equipment you need to purchase or rent to work on your roof, you should also set aside funds for unexpected expenses. In accordance with Murphy’s Law, DIY roof replacement or repair projects are prone to error. Sometimes you have to redo a step, a series of steps, or even the entire job, which can cost you a lot of money. Be sure to factor in some level of unexpected expenses when considering how much you will save.
- Warranty Issues: Some product warranties require professional installation by a licensed installer. Be sure to research and verify how a DIY installation will affect the warranty on your shingles or other roofing materials. It is estimated that 95% of all roof failures are caused by errors in the installation.
Professional Roofing Services
If saving a few dollars is not your primary concern, hiring a professional is preferable in many ways. The major caveat is that you must find a reputable, experienced contractor who is licensed, insured and has been in business locally for 5 years min. A contractor that has high level certification by a manufacturer that will warrant their installation is a sure bet.
Challenges of Hiring a Roofing Contractor
- Cost: Of course, hiring a reputable contractor means paying more than doing it yourself. However, keep in mind the saying that “you get what you pay for.” An experienced, reputable contractor that does quality work is well worth the investment. Always ask to see and verify the license and insurance documents and beware of unlicensed individuals.
- Finding the right one: Before hiring a contractor, you must do some homework. Verify their license, insurance, credentials, experience, customer reviews, and past projects. Putting in a little effort here will ensure you have a positive experience and get great results on your project.
Advantages of Hiring a Roofing Contractor
- Faster, Better Results: A team of experienced Tampa roofing professionals can provide better, faster and more efficient results than practically any DIY enthusiast. At Affordable Roofing Systems, it often takes us only one day to complete a re-roofing job, though of course this varies depending on the size of your property, environment, and roofing materials.
- Product and Installation Warranty: Professional roofing contractors in the Tampa Bay area usually provide comprehensive product and installation warranties. Affordable Roofing Systems has been roofing the Tampa Bay area for over 20 years. We provide M & L warranties of up to 50 years and installation warranties by The manufacturer for up to 25 years. This will give you peace of mind, security and a beautiful/reliable roof for many years to come.
- Property and Safety Protection: Experienced roofing contractors strictly implement safety measures to prevent property damage or injuries. Affordable Roofing’s team of professionals takes great care to protect your property and ensure the safety of everyone on the premises. We are also insured for your protection.
- Long-Term Investment: Professional roofing service may seem more expensive upfront. But if you consider other factors such as product warranties, industry experience, tools, liability insurance, and legal permits, hiring a professional roofing contractor is the best option. It is a wise long-term investment.
Affordable Roofing Systems: Where Experience and Quality Matter
Affordable Roofing Systems is a full-service Tampa Bay roofing contractor. We specialize in residential and commercial roofing. In addition to roof replacement and new roof installation, we also provide the following services:
- Roof evaluation
- Roof repairs
- Storm damage restoration
- Hail damage restoration
Affordable Roofing also has a wide selection of quality roofing materials, including shingles, metal roofs, tiles, stone-coated steel, TPO membranes and so much more!
Remember! Roofs are not like a pair of pants your purchased and want to exchange. Once your new roof is completed, you will be married to it for many years. Let us help you make the best decisions for you and your family.
Need help with your roofing system? We’ve got you covered! Call us now to get a free quote!