Many times a homeowner will call us worried that their leaky or worn roof is beyond repair and must be replaced. In many cases, an inspection by one of our roofing professionals will reveal that, with a little attention and care, the roof can be saved and repaired, extending its service life for a few more years.
But in some instances we’ll inspect a roof and determine that there is too much damage, or the wear and tear has taken too great a toll to recover. Some of the signs of a roof that may be beyond repair are:
Reasons to Replace My Roof
- Leakage – Leaky roofs lead to major structural issues! Once you see the leak inside the home, leaking has been occurring for some time. Most of the water will penetrate the roofing system, decking, insulation as well as well as the ceiling, this normally is a slow process, indicating a long time leak and is a certain condition for a new roof.
- Wind Damage – The tricky part about wind damage is that the exposed spots on the roof can be difficult to detect. Shingles that have been exposed to high winds may have loosened the sediment and possibly even nails, will lead to leaks and cause extensive damage if not repaired promptly.
- Exposed Nails – This is a very common problem that tends to cause most leaks. Nails can rust and create an opening for a small leak to form.
- Granules Missing – Roofs loose granules through the course of their obvious exposure to the elements over time. Check the gutters and drains for granules. Granule loss of older roofs are indicative of roof replacement.
- Curling – Shingle tiles may curl which is the first symptom of a possible much larger problem is going to arise.
- Cracking – Shingles are going to need to be replaced if cracks are visible.
- Roof Cement – Mental flushing prevents leaks where shingle meets other surfaces like walls and chimneys. Proper flashing work will last for many roof systems and roof cement is used to secure and seal possible leaks.
- No chimney cricket – A wide chimney forms a dam on your roof. Debris and water builds up behind the chimney holding moisture which leads to rusted flashing, wood rot, mold, and leaks. Chimneys over 30”, by code require a cricket!
- Hail Damage – When large hailstones hits on asphalt roof, it can tear or puncture shingles. The damage may not be obvious at first so inspect your roof or have us inspect your roof soon thereafter the hail event.
- Damaged Plumbing vent bouts – Plumbing vent boots can be all plastic, metal and plastic or even all metal. Squirrels and rodents can chew and damage vent bouts allowing leaks.
- Damaged Shingles – Broken shingles are both ugly and a leak waiting to happen. It is recommended to have these fixed as soon as possible to prevent future leaks.
- Black Streaks – Algae called Gloeocapsa Magma The algae feed on limestone in the shingles. This algae will worsen over time and become more noticeable each year ultimately trapping moisture and causing premature shingle aging and granule loss.
The only way to be certain if your roof needs to be replaced or can be adequately repaired is to have it professionally inspected by Affordable Roofing. We’re the roofing contractors Tampa trusts for an honest assessment of the condition of your roof and straightforward recommendation for repair or replacement.
Don’t wait until it is too late. Call Affordable Roofing today to find out if your roof can be repaired and restored, or if replacement is your best option.