How To Avoid Roofing Scams
You may have heard different stories about roofing scams in the Tampa Bay area-- from storm chasing and overcharging for labor and materials to poor quality and incomplete work. Additionally, these scammers have become more and more creative in stealing money from people. That’s why we need to be vigilant when hiring a roofer in Tampa.
In today’s blog post, we will discuss some of the common roofing scams and how to avoid them. Read on.
Identifying a Tampa Roofing Contractor Scam
Finding reliable roofers in Tampa can be a little challenging. There are numerous warning signs you should watch out for. Beware of “contractors” approaching you first to offer their repair services. They should be able to give you a detailed assessment of their inspection.
Here are other red flags you should watch out for:
- Door-to-door solicitation without presenting any business credentials and permits
- Pressuring you to hire their services immediately
- Requiring you to pay cash upfront or ask for a large deposit
- Offers questionable “special” promos like getting discounts or other free services if you immediately pay in cash and sign the contract
- Cannot provide you their physical office or business address
- Asking you to get the required permits yourself
- Won’t provide you any references
These red flags usually occur during the initial meeting with a contractor and should not be taken lightly.
Common Roofing Scams in the Tampa Bay Area
1. Storm Chasers
As the name implies, these “con artists” usually come out after a storm. They will go door-to-door, offering different roofing services. Storm chasers are not local and their main goal is to make a quick buck. Some people also refer to them as “fly-by-night” contractors. They are great salesmen and will offer you some promos, which can be hard to refuse. Their best trick is to put homeowners under pressure.
Sometimes, storm chasers will get your insurance company involved. They will tell you to file a claim, then offer a better deal for you-- which is a big red flag! Remember, they haven’t even inspected your property, but they are telling you right away that you need roof repairs. So, be cautious when talking to your prospective contractors.
3. Insurance Fraud
Insurance fraud is another common roofing scam not only in Florida but the entire country. Be careful of contractors offering you to manage your insurance claim. They may tell you that they can cover your deductible and can even add other incentives, but some of these activities are illegal. Be sure to coordinate with the insurance provider hand-in-hand to avoid frauds and other scams. The bottom line is when they ask to fully cover your deductible, look for other options.
4. Unlicensed Contractors
Florida requires contractors to have a license before they can perform any roofing jobs. For your own security, work only with a licensed Tampa roofer. Hiring a licensed roofing contractor can provide you with comprehensive product and installation warranties. You can also expect quality materials, expert workmanship and ethical practices. When you hire an unlicensed contractor, you cannot file a complaint or go after them when something goes wrong.
5. Mystery Damage
This scam happens when a “contractor” inspects your roof then suddenly finds damages out of nowhere. To avoid this scam, be sure to document your roof or your property before getting your roof inspected. Take photographs or videos of the damages so you can compare the results.
How To Find Reputable Tampa Roofers
Finding a reputable roofing contractor you can trust requires a lot of patience. Be sure to do your research and do a profile check. Here are some of the things to consider when choosing a roofer:
- Be sure to check their reviews online. Read testimonials to learn more about their services.
- Check their material manufacturer. Some of the leading roofing manufacturers to look for include GAF, Drexel Metals, Varitile, Gerard and Owens Corning.
- Try to reach out to their references and ask them about their experience. This should help you gauge the quality of their services.
- Reputable Tampa roofing companies always present legal documents to their customers. Be sure your prospective roofer is updated. You can also check this site to see if your contractor’s license is valid or complete. Make sure they are not using another contractor’s contact details--this is one of the most common scams in the country.
- Consider visiting their business address. This way you can really get a feel of how they conduct their work. A trusted roofing contractor should walk you through their work processes. They should also explain other important details like installation warranties and manufacturers information.
- Dig to find more information about your prospective contractors. In addition to social media and website reviews, you can also refer to BBB or nearby community boards to see if there are serious complaints against them.
- Word of mouth is one of the best ways to find reputable Tampa roofing companies. So, always start your search with your personal network. Ask your family and friends if they can refer you to roofing experts.
Affordable Roofing Systems: Your Trusted Tampa Roofer
Affordable Roofing Systems is a licensed and fully insured roofing contractor, located at the heart of Tampa Bay, Florida. We offer complete roofing solutions from roof evaluations to roof repairs, roof replacement and new roof installation. We’ve been roofing your neighborhood for more than 25 years!
Here at Affordable Roofing, we believe that quality and experience matter! Allow our team to provide you with an accurate and honest assessment. We also invest in quality materials to ensure your comfort and safety. Affordable Roofing specializes in residential and commercial roofing services in Tampa. But don’t just take our word for it, feel free to check our portfolio of work.
Are you still looking for a reliable roofing contractor in Tampa FL? We’ve got your back! Call us now at (813) 542 8462 and get a free estimate!